New to Brunswick? Or want the local knowledge on where to go? Look now further, I have jotted down the must dos for any Brunswick newbie or local alike.
Located on 482 Sydney Road, the Mediterranean Wholesalers is just about as iconic as Franco Cozzo. Don’t let the massive boxes of washing power in the windows deter you, this place is gold. It’s a monument to the thriving Italian and Greek communities who made Brunswick their home. Established in 1961, this was and still is the place to get your continental goodies at very reasonable prices.
Yep, the Mediterranean is an epic Italian supermarket. In fact, their claim to fame is that they are Australia’s largest continental supermarket! The walls are lined with every kind of pasta you can ever imagine (even gluten free!), giant vats of olives and real imported Italian Nutella. There is huge deli and plenty of salami, mortadella, mozzarella, bocconcini and pecorino to fuel your Italian tastebuds. You will also find the classics like Chinotto, Baci and delicious Italian wines.
Like any serious Italian institution this place also has its own cafe complete with a decent selection of biscuits and cakes, all baked in house. If you’re feeling a bit peckish, order an espresso and a biscotti and hang out for a bit before heading back out on to Sydney Road. You can also find Italian liquors, a lot of bulk cleaning products, stove top coffee makers, and these fantastic statues from Calabria.
- Go early to get warm ciabatta fresh out of the oven
- Also go early on the weekends because they close as early as 1pm
- Italian Nutella is way better than Australian Nutella and it comes in a glass jar
- Look out for the amazing selection of chilli themed key rings at the counter
- Be astounded by the pasta aisle. Seriously, they have everything you could think of.
When and where:
482 Sydney Road, Brunswick
* this is not a sponsored post and is my personal opinion as a Brunswick local *